Search, bookmarks, multiplexing, and other tools that make your terminal experience more productive.
- ag - Super fast string search through a directory hierarchy
- autoenv - Directory-based environments
- autojump - A cd command that learns - easily navigate directories from the command line
- bash-slugify - Command that converts filenames and directories to a web friendly format
- bashmarks - Directory bookmarks for the shell
- byobu - Text-based window manager and terminal multiplexer
- commacd - A faster way to move around in Bash
- fasd - Command-line productivity booster, offers quick access to files and directories
- hhighlighter - Colorize words in a command output
- hr -<hr />for your terminal
- hstr - Bash History Suggest Box
- k - k is a Zsh script to make directory listings more readable, adding Git status, fileweight colors and rotting dates
- parallel - Build and execute shell command lines from standard input in parallel
- percol - Adds flavor of interactive filtering to the traditional pipe concept of UNIX shell
- spark - ▁▂▃▅▂▇ in your shell
- spot - Tiny file search utility
- sshfs - A tool for mounting remote file systems over SSH
- sshrc - Bring your .bashrc, .vimrc, etc. with you when you SSH
- tmux - Amazing terminal multiplexer
- v - z for vim.
- wemux - Multi-User Tmux Made Easy
- z - z is the new j, yo
Custom prompts, color themes, etc.
- base16-shell - Base16 for Shells
- bash-git-prompt - An informative and fancy Bash prompt for Git users
- bash-powerline - Powerline-style Bash prompt in pure Bash script
- bashstrap - A quick way to spruce up OSX terminal
- flatui-terminal-theme - Nicer colors for terminal
- git-prompt - Bash prompt with Git, SVN and HG modules
- gittify - A colorful Bash prompt + customized Git aliases
- Gogh - Color Scheme - Color Scheme for Gnome Terminal
- liquidprompt - A full-featured & carefully designed adaptive prompt for Bash & Zsh
- mysql-colorize - Colorization for mysql comand-line client
- sexy-bash-prompt - Bash prompt with colors, Git statuses, and Git branches
Command-line development, version control, and deployment.
- cloc - Count Lines of Code
- dokku - Docker powered mini-Heroku in around 100 lines of Bash
- git-extra-commands - Many Git extra utilities. Churn, cut-branch, improved-merge and many more.
- git-extras - Git utilities -- repo summary, repl, changelog population, author commit percentages and more
- git-semver - Git plugin for easing semantic versioning and changelog validation
- git-sh - A customized Bash environment suitable for Git work
- mr - Multiple Respository management tool
- overcommit - A fully configurable and extendable Git hook manager
- pre-commit - A framework for managing and maintaining multi-language pre-commit hooks
- repren - Command-line search-and-replace and file-renaming swiss army knife
- slap - Sublime-like terminal-based text editor that runs on Node.js
- shipit - Minimalistic SSH deployment
System administration and system debugging.
- cv - Linux tool to show progress for cp, rm, dd, ...
- lsp - An improvedls, with file descriptions in plain language and intelligent file grouping
- ncdu - NCurses Disk Usage
- quick-secure - Quickly secure and harden UNIX/Linux systems
Downloading and Serving
Self-hosted, lightweight servers and networking tools written in shell scripts.
- aria2 - aria2 is a lightweight multi-protocol & multi-source, cross platform download utility operated in command-line. It supports HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, BitTorrent and Metalink
- balls - Bash on Balls
- bashttpd - A web server written in Bash
- bitpocket - "DIY Dropbox" or "2-way directory (r)sync with proper deletion"
- Dropbox-Uploader - Dropbox Uploader is a Bash script which can be used to upload, download, list or delete files from Dropbox
- httpie - HTTPie is a command line HTTP client, a user-friendly cURL replacement
- ngincat - Tiny Bash HTTP server using netcat
- resty - Little command line REST client that you can use in pipelines
- 油Tube-dl - Small command-line program to download videos from 油Tube.com and other video sites
Multimedia and File Formats
Tools for handling video and audio files.
- adb-export - Export Android content providers to CSV format
- Android-Kitchen - A text-based kitchen for Android ROM customization. Uses shell scripts and works with Cygwin/OS X/Linux
- Beets - Music library manager and MusicBrainz tagger
- image-scraper - A cool command line image scraper with a lot of features.
- jq - Sed for json data. You can use it to slice and filter and map and transform structured data
- PiCAST - PiCAST turns your $35 Raspberry Pi in to a Chromecast like Device
- sejda - Command line manipulation of PDF documents (split, merge, rotate, convert to jpg, extract text, etc)
- xmlstarlet - Old but powerful tool for command-line XML formatting, filtering, and manipulation.
Command line-based applications or command line access to existing services.
- ansiweather - Weather in your terminal, with ANSI colors and Unicode symbols
- bashblog - A Bash script that handles blog posting
- geeknote - Command line evernote client
- jrnl - A simple command line journal application that stores your journal in a plain text file
- ledger - Command line accounting
- pushblast - Get PushBullet notifications when a shell program exits
- pushbullet-bash - Bash interface to the PushBullet API
- transfer.sh — Quickly upload and share files from your shell
- wego - Weather app for the terminal
All work and no play is a cruddy way to spend your day.
- bash2048 - Bash implementation of 2048 game
- minesweeper - Bash implementation of minesweeper
- sedtris - Tetris in sed
- sed-scripts - Arkanoid and Sokoban written using sed
Shell Package Management
Tools for managing multiple shell configurations.
- antigen-hs - A replacement for antigen optimized for a low overhead when starting up the shell.
- bash-it - A community Bash framework
- basher - A package manager for shell scripts
- fresh - Keep your dotfiles fresh
- homeshick - Git dotfile synchronizer written in Bash
- oh-my-fish - Framework for managing your Fish shell configuration inspired by Oh My Zsh
- vcsh - Config manager based on Git
Shell Script Development
Tools for writing, improving, or organizing Bash or other shell scripts
- bashful - A collection of libraries to simplify writing Bash scripts
- bats - Bash Automated Testing System
- composure - Compose, document, version and organize your shell functions
- dispatch - A command line argument parser in 50 lines of portable shell script.
- rerun - A modular shell automation framework to organize your keeper scripts
- semver_bash - Semantic Versioning in Bash
- shellcheck - Static analysis tool for shell scripts
- shpec - A shell testing framework
- sub - A delicious way to organize programs
- ts - A shell test script
- shunit2 - A unit test framework for Bash scripts with a flavour of JUnit/PyUnit.
Tools and customizations specifically for Zsh.
- awesome-zsh-plugins - A list of Zsh plugins usable with antigen, dotzsh, oh-my-zsh & prezto.
- antigen - A plugin manager for Zsh, inspired by oh-my-zsh and vundle
- dotzsh - dotzsh strives to be platform and version independent, some functionality may be lost when running under older versions of Zsh, but it should degrade cleanly and allow you to use the same setup on multiple machines of differing OS's without problems.
- oh-my-zsh - A community-driven framework for managing your Zsh configuration
- pretty-time-zsh - Convert seconds to a human readable string:165392→1d 21h 56m 32s
- powerline-zsh - Powerline for Zsh
- prezto - The configuration framework for Zsh
- pure - Pretty, minimal and fast Zsh prompt
- zgen - A lightweight plugin manager for Zsh inspired by antigen, but optimized for speed when starting a new shell. Can load oh-my-zsh compatible plugins and themes.
- zsh-autosuggestions - Fish-like autosuggestions for Zsh
- zsh-dwim - Zsh do what I mean.
- zsh-git-prompt - Informative Git prompt for Zsh
- zsh-history-substring-search - An implementation of the Fish shell's history search feature for Zsh.
- zshmarks - A port of Bashmarks (simple bookmarking plugin by Todd Werth) for oh-my-zsh
- zsh-notify - Desktop notifications for long running commands in Zsh
- zsh-prompt-powerline - A Zsh prompt based on the powerline font from the popular vim plugin
- zsh-syntax-highlighting - Fish shell like syntax highlighting for Zsh
- Bash Hackers Wiki
- Greg Wooledge's (aka "greycat") wiki. Specifically Bash Guide, Bash FAQ and Bash Pitfalls
- Google's Shell Style Guide
- The Linux Documentation Project: Bash Programming - Intro/How-to
- The Linux Documentation Project: Advanced Bash Scripting Guide
- WikiBooks: Bash Shell Scripting
- Use the Unofficial Bash Strict Mode (Unless You Looove Debugging)
- The Art of Command Line